Science of Glycochemistry
Totally synthesis of small sugar-based compounds
Carbohydrates play key roles in a broad range of biological processes, through their interactions with numerous proteins of interest or potential interest. Although 30 sugar based drugs are presently on the market for various therapeutic areas (infectious diseases, cardiovascular diseases, CNS disorders, inflammation, diabetes, thrombosis, etc.), sugars still remain an untapped source of drugs. In addition, saccharides are widely used in cosmetics with anti-inflammation, skin conditioning and moisturizing functions just to name a few.
Even if polysaccharide variety is important in nature, the diversity used for cosmetics and therapeutics is quite limited and thus a larger diversity is needed.
It means that new approaches are required which is now possible by using pure, small, and synthetic oligosaccharides designed and produced with CarboMimetics innovative platform GlycoSMART.
Because these small sugars (fragments, oligosaccharides) derived from natural saccharides, they present several competitive advantages:
- Extension of saccharide variety
- Naturally related molecules, less immunogenic and more human friendly
- New & huge space of patentability
- Possibility to design molecules against non-conventional and difficult targets
- New mode of actions (leaving space for first-in-class)
- Broad possibilities of optimization from initial structures (exclusive to CarboMimetics GlycoSmart)